Captain Christian Gibson was born in Belfast, Ireland and grew up in London, England. He came to Canada in 1908, at the age of 21, and joined Lethbridge’s first Militia unit, the 25th (Independent) Battery, Canadian Field Artillery.
In 1914 Chris enlisted with the 20th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery Expeditionary Forces under Major J.S. Stewart. He was commissioned Captain and served as a paymaster. Before going overseas with the 7th Artillery Brigade, Chris started his work with the Red Cross.
During the Second World War, Chris was the chief packer and carpenter for the Lethbridge Branch of the Red Cross. He served numerous times as president, and helped start the blood donor clinic system in 1949.
Chris was a founding member of Playgoers of Lethbridge. He served six terms on the Galt Hospital Board. Lethbridge’s John Howard Society, Historical Society, Royal Canadian Legion, and Allied Arts Council were among the many organizations Chris worked with, and to which he volunteered his time.
Chris and his wife Linda built a full life in Lethbridge, where they raised two children, Fred Gibson and Doris Gibson (Balcovske).