John Smith Stewart was born in Brampton, Ontario in 1877. He moved to Edmonton at age 18 and served in the South African War with the Lord Strathona’s Horse. After the war he completed his dentistry degree in Toronto and returned to Lethbridge in May 1902 where he joined a dental practice. He attended the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario from 1907 to 1908. Following his return to Lethbridge in 1908 he formed the 25 th (Independent) Field Battery Canadian Field Artillery and was its first Commanding Officer in the rank of Major. In World War 1 he rose to the rank of Brigadier General ultimately commanding the 3 rd Canadian Division’s artillery. After WW 1 he was elected to the Alberta Legislature from 1911 to 1925 and was a member of Parliament from 1930 to 1935. Today the Royal Canadian Legion General Stewart Branch and General Stewart School bear his name. He died in 1970.